Cheesy Bacon Breadsticks
- 2 tablespoons instant dry yeast
- 1 cup ½ warm water
- tablespoons ½ sugar
- 4 cups ½ - 5 MAYA All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons fine iodized salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pack bacon strips
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- cup ½ melted butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place an oven-safe cooling rack on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Add yeast to warm water, then sugar, stir to hydrate the yeast. Let this sit for a few minutes for the yeast to bloom.
- In a mixer bowl with the dough hook attachment, mix together flour and salt.
- Carefully pour the yeast mixture and oil onto the mixer bowl. Turn on the mixer to low-medium speed. Knead the dough for 10-20 minutes.
- Once the dough forms a ball and clings to the hook, remove from the bowl. Knead by hand for at least 5 minutes then shape it into a ball.
- Place the dough on a greased bowl and cover with cling wrap. Let the dough rise for 1 ½ hours or until it doubles in size.
- Unwrap the bowl and punch the dough to deflate it. Weigh portions of the dough, about 30-40 grams.
- Roll out the dough and form a rectangle. Sprinkle about ½ teaspoon of parmesan and ½ teaspoon of cheddar cheese, roll the dough to form a log, then pinch the seam to secure the cheese. Repeat with the other portions of dough.
- Place leftover cheese and ground black pepper in a wide plate. Roll the logs of dough on the cheese.
- Wrap the breadsticks with bacon strips. Bake in the preheated oven (375F/191C) for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix the melted butter, garlic and parsley in a small bowl.
- Remove the breadsticks from the oven. Brush lightly with melted butter mixture.
Yield: 15 breadsticks