Valentine Soft Pretzels
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 ½ teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ¾ cups MAYA All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup MAYA All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup baking soda
- 9 cups water
- 1 piece beaten egg with 1 tablespoon water
- sea salt, poppy seeds, or sesame seeds (optional for topping)
- walnut sugar crunch 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts and 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a bowl, combine sugar and water until well blended and let sugar fully dissolved. Add yeast and stir lightly. Let it stand for 3-5 minutes until yeast become foamy. Add oil, half the amount of flour and salt. Stir and blend well, the dough will become sticky and wet.
- Place a little amount of the remaining flour on a working surface and knead to form a ball of dough. Continue kneading until the remaining flour has been used and the dough become smooth and does not stick anymore.
- Place the pretzel dough in an oiled bowl and cover with cling wrap. Rest dough for 30-45 minutes in a warm place until it double in size.
- Preheat oven to 450°F/225°C. Line two cookie sheets with greaseproof paper. Set aside.
- Get the rested dough and lightly press the dough at the center to release some air and knead on a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in 20-24 pieces (25-30gms each) then roll and shape into sticks or rope. Make a U-shape while holding both ends of the dough then twist the end or make double knots and fold over to create pretzel shape. Rest shaped dough for another 10-15 minutes.
- Place baking soda and water in a big pot and bring to a boil. Dip and cook the puffed pretzels for half a minute turning it once. Remove pretzels with the use of a big slotted spoon place it on top of a clean cloth. Place and arrange each pretzel on a prepared cookie sheets giving enough space for puffing.
- Brush each pretzel with beaten egg-water mixture then drizzle top with sea salt, poppy seeds or sesame seeds or cover pretzels with walnut sugar crunch.
- Bake for 400°F/205°C. 10-15 minutes.
Yield: 20-24 pieces Prep Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes Bake Time: 15-30 minutes