Plain Steamed Bun
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 cups MAYA All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening, melted
- In a bowl, combine warm water, yeast and sugar. Mix well. Let it expand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together melted shortening, sugar, baking powder, flour and the yeast mixture. Combine thoroughly until the dough leaves the bowl.
- Dust the table with flour. Knead the dough until smooth (dust again with flour if too sticky). Set aside in another bowl covered with cling wrap and let it rise for an hour.
- When it doubles in size, knead again. Roll out into rectangular shape using a rolling pin.
- Form into a baston and cut into desired size.
- Place the dough in a steamer and cook for 8-10 minutes.
Yield: 7-8 pieces