Mixed Fruit Babka
- ½ teaspoon iodized salt
- 4 cups MAYA All-Purpose Flour sifted
- 3/4 cup fresh milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 5 pieces egg yolks
- zest of 1 whole lemon or orange
- ½ cup butter softened
- 150 grams mixed fruits 25 grams each of dried, candied fruits such as
- raisins, blueberry, cranberries, candied cherries, lemon and orange
- Enough confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C. Grease Bundt pan.
- In a clean, dry bowl mix the salt and flour until well combined. Set aside.
- In another bowl, bring together milk, sugar, yeast, egg yolks and lemon zest. Mix until well blended.
- Add in the flour mixture and light mix then damp the mix of dough into a clean working surface. Bring the dough together and knead to form a ball then start adding little by little the softened butter and continue kneading until dough become smooth and elastic.
- Place the smooth dough on a lightly greased bowl then cover bowl with a towel or cling wrap and proof for 40 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down dough after proofing then using a rolling pin, roll out dough into a large rectangle about ¼ to ½ inch in thickness.
- Sprinkle the mix fruits on the dough, make sure to leave enough space on each side for easy rolling.
- Roll the dough to create a log shape dough then place it into prepared Bundt pan to proof again for another 30 minutes or until dough doubled in size.
- Once the dough doubled in size on the pan, place it in an oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place in a wire rack upon removal from the oven.
- Dust the babka with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Yield: 8- 10 servings