Lemon Dream (Lemon Meringue Cake)
- 1 pack MAYA Decadence Yellow Cake Mix 520g
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon water
- 3 pieces eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
Lemon Curd Filling
- cup ¾ granulated sugar
- cup ½ fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- 6 pieces egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup ⁄4 light corn syrup
- 1 cup ⁄2 sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350F/177C. Grease and line bottom of two 7-inch round pans. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, water, eggs and oil. Beat by hand using a wire whisk until well-blended.
- Pour mixture into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean. Cool before frosting.
- Prepare lemon curd: In a glass bowl, over a double boiler, whisk together egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and egg yolks.
- Whisk constantly until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Remove from heat then whisk in butter.
- Transfer in another bowl then cover directly with cling wrap. Refrigerate to set.
- Prepare frosting: In medium bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed just until stiff peaks form.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water until well mixed. Cover and heat to rolling boil over medium heat. Uncover and boil 4 to 8 minutes, without stirring, to 242°F on candy thermometer.
- Pour hot syrup very slowly in thin stream into egg whites, beating constantly on medium speed. Add vanilla. Beat on high speed about 10 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble cake: Place one layer of the cake in a serving dish, spread a small amount of marshmallow frosting and top with lemon curd.
Yield: 8-10 servings