- 1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 7-8 cups MAYA All-Purpose Flour
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- Dissolve yeast in water. In a bowl, combine sugar, salt, water and about 1 cup flour to form a soft dough. stir in dissolved yeast and enough flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic. Transfer to a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let it rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down dough to expel excess air. Divide dough into two equal portions. shape each portion into long tapered loaves. Get a french bread try. Grease it and dust with cornmeal.
- Arrange loaves on prepared tray. Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Before baking, make slashes diagonally on the surface. Brush with egg white and dist with corn meal. Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 15 to 20 minutes.