- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 ½ – 4 ½ cups LFM bread flour
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- bread crumbs as needed
Easy Yema Filling:
- 2 cans condensed milk
- 2 packs all- purpose cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Set aside to activate the yeast.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining water, sugar and the activated yeast mixture.
- In another bowl, mix together salt and half of flour. Add the wet mixture.
- Mix well then transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Adding remaining flour alternately with the shortening.
- Knead dough by hand for about 20-30 minutes until smooth and elastic. If using a stand
- mixer, use dough hook attachment and knead the dough for 15-20 minutes.
- Place the ball of dough in a greased bowl, and cover it with a damp cloth or plastic wrap.
- Let it rise until it doubles in size.
- Punch dough to remove air pockets and divide into two portions.
- Form into baston then roll in breadcrumbs. Cover again the dough and let it rest for a while,
- then cut as desired. Roll again in breadcrumbs if needed.
- Arranged cut doughs on baking sheet about 1-2 inches apart, proof or rest again until double in size.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F/190°C oven for 20-25 minutes or until desired brownness is achieved.
Easy Yema Filling:
- Place all the ingredients for the filling in a sauce pan and mix well.
- Cook over low heat.
- Stirring occasionally, continue cooking until consistency thickens. Set aside to cool.
The Following are variations for Flavored or stuffed Pandesal.
- Mango Pandesal – Replace or substitute water with mango flavored juice then stuff with mango Jam.
- Pandan Pandesal – Add in 2 teaspoons of pandan extract or flavocol into the water in the ingredients. Instead of using plain water, use boiled pandan water for better flavor.
- Match Pandesal – Replace or substitute 1 ¼ cup of water with match green tea water (Dissolved ¼ cup matcha green tea powder into 1 1/4 cup water)
- Quezo de Bola Pandesal – Roll pandesal into cheese breadcrumbs instead of ordinary bread crumbs (combine ½ cup breadcrumbs + ¼ cup grated quezo de bola cheese) and stuff pandesal with yema cheese filling (a combination of ½ cup prepared yema filling + ¼ cup grated quezo de bola cheese).
- Choco Nut Butter – Roll pandesal into flavored choconut breadcrumbs instead of ordinary bread crumbs (combine ¼ cup breadcrumbs + 1/3 cup crushed or powdered peanut milk chocolate bar) and stuff pandesal with choco nut yema filling (a combination of ½ cup prepared yema filling +2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter +2 tablespoons of crushed or powdered peanut milk chocolate bar).
- Choco Bombs Pandesal – Roll pandesal into flavored chocolate breadcrumbs instead of ordinary bread crumbs (combine ¼ cup breadcrumbs + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder) and stuffed pandesal with chocolate filling (a combination of ½ cup prepared yema filling + 2 tablespoons hazelnut chocolate spread + 2 tablespoons of melted chocolate chips or bar).