- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups unsifted MAYA All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 egg whites cornmeal
- 1 egg yolk beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup water. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine sugar, salt, remaining water, 1 cup flour and oil. Stir in dissolved yeast. Beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter.
- Gradually beat in 2 cups of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out dough into a floured surface. Knead until smooth and satiny.
- Transfer to greased bowl then cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk. Punch down dough, cover and let rise 15 minutes longer.
- Knead briefly to release air.
- Shape according to desired output. Dip bottom in cornmeal. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until double in bulk.
- Brush loaves with egg yolk mixture, Place a shallow pan of hot water on the lowest oven rack. Bake rolls at 400F just above the pan of hot water for 15 to 20 minutes or until brown. Cool.