- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups unsifted MAYA All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 egg whites cornmeal
- 1 egg yolk beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup water. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine sugar, salt, remaining water, 1 cup flour and oil. Stir in dissolved yeast. Beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter.
- Gradually beat in 2 cups of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out dough into a floured surface. Knead until smooth and satiny.
- Transfer to greased bowl then cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk. Punch down dough, cover and let rise 15 minutes longer.
- Knead briefly to release air.
- Shape according to desired output. Dip bottom in cornmeal. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until double in bulk.
- Brush loaves with egg yolk mixture, Place a shallow pan of hot water on the lowest oven rack. Bake rolls at 400F just above the pan of hot water for 15 to 20 minutes or until brown. Cool.
Yield: 2-3 loaves