- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups MAYA All-Purpose Flour
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 piece egg yolk + 1 tablespoon water
- Poppy seeds or black sesame seeds
For Bagel Sandwich:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Assorted greens
- 2 to 3 slices bacon cooked
- 2 slices large tomato
- 1 piece poached egg
- 2 tablespoons tomato catsup
- Dissolve yeast in ½ cup water. Put the remaining water in a bowl, then stir in sugar and salt.
- Add in flour and beat well to make a smooth batter.
- Add in dissolved yeast.
- Add enough flour until dough separates from the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer dough into a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Put dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let it rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down dough then knead briefly to expel air.
- Divide dough into 10 pieces. Form each piece of dough into a smooth ball.
- Poke your thumb through the center of each ball to form hole at the center.
- With the thumb in a hole, work around the perimeter shaping the bagel like a doughnut.
- 1Place bagel into a lightly floured baking sheet. Cover lightly and let it rise for 20 minutes.
- 1Put the 6 cups of water, sugar and baking soda into saucepan and heat to boiling.
- 1Drops bagels one at a time into the boiling water mixture (about 5 pieces per batch). Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 1Lift out bagels and drain briefly. Put drained bagels on to the baking sheet.
- 1Brush bagels with egg wash. Bake preheated oven to 400⁰F oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until crusty. Cool.
- 1Assemble: Slice bagel in half, spread mayonnaise on the bottom halve of the bagel, then, arrange the, greens, bacon, tomato slice, and poached egg. Then spread tomato catsup on the top halve of the bagel then place top halves of the bagel on top. Serve.
Yield: 8 – 10 pieces (70 grams dough weight per piece)