Brainy Skull Cookies
Chocolate sugar cookies:
- ½ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 piece large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons coffee powder
- 1 3/4 cups MAYA All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup egg white powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 450 grams confectioner's sugar
- prepared fondant
For the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line two cookie sheets.
- In a bowl cream butter shortening and sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix well.
- In another bowl, blend all the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients into the cream mixture. Mix until it resembles a dough.
- Roll the cookies and cut skull shapes using a skull cookie cutter.
- Transfer dough cut outs to the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
For the Royal Icing:
- In a mixer bowl, place egg white powder and pour in water. Let it stand for 5 minutes to allow the egg white to absorb the water.
- Turn on the mixer and beat the egg whites while gradually adding confectioners’ sugar. Beat until stiff.
- Color the royal icing into the according to the design (skull, eyeball, brain, etc...).
- Transfer into piping bags and draw designs on the cookies.