Ube Cheese Spanish Bread
- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 piece egg
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 3 – 3 ¼ cups MAYA All-Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
Ube cheese filling :
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup margarine
- ¼ cup ube halaya
- 2 teaspoons ube flavoring and coloring
- Dissolve yeast in half of the milk, and then sprinkle with sugar. Set this aside to activate the yeast.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, pour in remaining milk, egg, flavoring and half of the butter. Mix the wet ingredients together.
- Add in the flour and salt, knead on medium speed for 10-12 minutes. Then add the remaining butter and continue kneading for 3-5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball. Transfer in a greased bowl. Cover with cheese cloth and Let it ferment for 25-30 minutes.
- Once the dough doubles in size, punch down the dough. Portion into 50g pieces. Roll into balls. Let it rest for 2-3 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix all filling ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- Take a piece of dough; roll out the dough into an oblong. Place a teaspoonful of the ube Spanish filling, roll the dough like a croissant. Roll in bread crumbs.
- Repeat procedure until all of the dough is consumed.
- Place in a baking sheet then cover with cheesecloth. Let them proof for 25-30 minutes or until double in size
- Bake in a preheated 375°F/190°C oven for 15-25 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Best consumed immediately, or heat in an oven toaster before eating.
Prep time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes