Pan De Coco
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- cup ¼ lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cup ½ sugar
- cup ½ milk
- cup ¼ melted shortening
- 2 pieces eggs
- 3 cups ½ MAYA All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups fresh grated coconut meat
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine salt, sugar, milk, shortening and eggs. Add 1 ½ cups of flour and yeast mixture. Mix until thoroughly blended.
- Add the remaining 1 ½ cups of flour and mix until dough leaves sides of the bowl. Use remaining flour for dusting hands and table. Knead until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased mixing bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Punch down dough and divide equally into 30 gram portions. Form into a ball.
- In a small bowl, mix together filling ingredients.
- Flatten out each ball and place 1 tablespoon of filling pinch the seams to seal the bread, flatten the dough again to make it into a traditional pan de coco shape.
- Place in lined baking sheets. Let it rise again until it doubles in size. About 25-30 minutes. Dock the top of the bread to let steam escape while baking.
- Brush the top of the bread with egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated oven 375°F/191°C for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve.
Yield: 25-30 pieces