Mixed Berry Shortbread Bars
- 1 cup ½ MAYA All-Purpose Flour
- cup ¾ unsalted butter chilled cut into cubes
- cup ¼ confectioner’s sugar
- cup ¼ white sugar
- cup ½ chopped walnuts
- teaspoon ½ cinnamon powder
- 3 cups mixed berries fresh or frozen
- cup ¾ white sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons MAYA Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 350⁰F/177⁰C. Grease, line with non-stick paper a 9-inch square pan. Set aside
- In a bowl, using a pastry blender or a fork, combine the flour butter, confectioner’s sugar and white sugar until well blended. Reserve 2/3 cup of the mixture and set aside. Press to the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a medium sized sauce pot combine mixed berries, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, cornstarch and vanilla extract. Cook over low heat until thick. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In another bowl, combine reserved crust mixture with chopped walnuts and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Pour cooked berry filling into prebaked crust spread evenly. Dollop walnut crust on top of the berry filling.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until top layer has set.
- Cool slightly on a wire rack. Cut into squares and serve.