Christmas Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups ½ -2 ¾ MAYA All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cups ½ confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 - 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 - 3 tablespoons fresh milk
- Gel food coloring of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350ᵒF/177ᵒC. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together softened butter and confectioners’ sugar. Beat in the egg and add desired flavoring. Add the dry ingredients and mix until a dough is formed.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and use cutters to create preferred shapes.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until edges are slightly brown. Cool before decorating.
For Royal icing
- Mix egg whites and lemon juice using a mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add confectioners’ sugar gradually and add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time.
- Mix until fluffy.
- Divide into bowls, mix in gel food coloring
- Decorate cooled cookies. Let icing set for a few hours to harden.