Chocolate Meringue Cake
Meringue thin wafers:
- 1 cup egg whites
- 100 grams powdered sugar
- 100 grams white sugar
- 20 grams MAYA Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 pieces egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon gelatin power
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 15 pieces hazelnut chocolate coated wafer, chopped (for filling)
- 1 cup milk chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 300ᵒF/149ᵒC. Using an 8-inch plate or pan as a guide, trace the perimeter of the plate or pan onto a sheet of parchment paper. Transfer parchment paper, pencil side down, to a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and sugars meringue is stiff and glossy. Sprinkle in cornstarch whisk again to combine.
- Mound the meringue in the center of the 8-inch circle. Using a spatula, evenly spread meringue out towards the edges. Transfer baking sheet to oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 250ᵒF/121ᵒC. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Turn off oven and let meringue cool completely in oven. Yield: 5 to 7 pieces 6-inched meringue thin wafers
For Chocolate Mousse:
- In a sauce pot, whisk egg yolk with sugar and gelatin, then slowly add the cocoa. Heat mixture over medium heat for 2 minutes with continuous stirring.
- Remove pot from the heat and continuously stir the chocolate mixture until cooled down.
- Add the butter and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Whip the cream to soft peak and fold in the chocolate mixture, until well blended.
- In a flat surfaced plate, assemble meringue thin wafer first, then spread the chocolate mousse on top, and sprinkle a portion of chopped hazelnuts chocolate coated wafer and drizzle with melted chocolate.
- Repeat procedure up to 5 layers with chocolate mousse on top and lastly sprinkle the rest of the chopped hazelnuts chocolate coated wafers and drizzle with melted chocolate.
- Put meringue cake in the freezer for at least an hour to set. Serve.