- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 1 piece egg
- 2 tablespoons margarine melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 -3 ¼ cups MAYA All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cheese slices for filling
- Spam slices for filling
- bread crumbs for coating
- Dissolve yeast in half of the fresh milk. Set aside to activate yeast.
- In a mixer bowl, pour in remaining milk, egg, margarine, and sugar. Mix wet ingredients together.
- Add in half of the flour. Mix until combined. Add in milk with active yeast.
- Add in remaining flour.
- Knead using a mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment for 15-20 minutes, or knead by hand for about 20-30 minutes.
- Once dough is smooth and elastic, form into a ball. Place in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let the dough ferment until it doubles in size about 20-30 minutes.
- Punch down dough to remove air pockets. Portion dough around 40g per piece then form into balls.
- Flatten a piece of dough, place one slice of cheese and spam in the middle and pull sides to meet in the middle. Pinch the seams together to seal. Form the dough into an oblong shape.
- Coat the formed pandesal in fine bread crumbs, place in a baking sheet about 1-2 inches apart.
- Proof pan de sal until it doubles in size.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F/190°C oven for 20-25 minutes or until desired brownness is achieved.
- Best served warm
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 20-25 minutes